In close proximity to the royal castle of Amboise, the château of Clos Lucé offers a journey through 800 years of history. Once a residence of Leonardo da Vinci, it is dedicated to the memory of the Italian master.

The saga of an abode with its pink bricks and tufa stones rising above Gallo-Roman foundations got underway during the reign of Louis XI in 1471. At that time, the king offered the estate of Cloux to his favorite, Etienne le Loup, a one-time kitchen boy who supervised construction of the château de Cloux and one of the comeliest intact dovecotes in France; he wound up being ennobled.

In 1490, the estate was acquired by Charles VIII and became a pleasure palace for the kings of France. The monarch transformed the medieval fortress into a leisure castle and had an oratory built for his wife, Anne of Brittany; it is now known as a crown jewel of Gothic architecture.  Just above the door, a depiction of the Virgin of Light, Virgo Lucis, is said to have given its name to the château of Clos Lucé.

In 1516-1519, King François I and his wife Louise of Savoy invited Leonardo to sojourn in Amboise and designated an artist he ardently admired as “premier painter, engineer and architect of the king”.

He offered him unlimited use of the château of Cloux located close to the royal castle of Amboise. Leonardo resided there over the last three years of his life, working on numerous projects for the king of France as well as masterpieces such as, quite possibly, the Mona Lisa. On 2 May 1519, the Italian master died in his appointed room.

In the late 17th century, the château of Cloux was renamed Château du Clos Lucé. It subsequently passed into the hands first of the Amboise family, which saved it from destruction during the French Revolution, and much later, in 1854, to the Saint Bris family.

Visitors to the residence of Leonardo da Vinci will discover Renaissance rooms, workshops and 40 fabulous machines. They will also be invited to undertake a journey of initiation along a landscaped trail, an honest-to-goodness open air museum featuring 20 manipulatable mock-ups and a series of translucent canvases showcasing the 17-acre park.

Photo gallery

Visits

  • Average duration of the individual visit : 03h00
  • Average duration of the group visit : 02h00
  • Available languages
    • Panneaux : French, Dutch, Polish, Portugese, Romanian, Russian, English, German, Brazilian, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
    • Parlées : French, English

Activities

  • Specific theme activities
  • Adult workshop
  • Junior workshop
  • Conferences
  • Temporary exhibitions
  • Son & Lumière

Opening time

From February 01 to June 30, 2019
Monday09 AM - 06 PM
Tuesday09 AM - 06 PM
Wenesday09 AM - 06 PM
Thursday09 AM - 06 PM
Friday09 AM - 06 PM
Saturday09 AM - 06 PM
Sunday09 AM - 06 PM
From July 01 to August 31, 2019
Monday09 AM - 07 PM
Tuesday09 AM - 07 PM
Wenesday09 AM - 07 PM
Thursday09 AM - 07 PM
Friday09 AM - 07 PM
Saturday09 AM - 07 PM
Sunday09 AM - 07 PM
From September 01 to October 31, 2019
Monday09 AM - 06 PM
Tuesday09 AM - 06 PM
Wenesday09 AM - 06 PM
Thursday09 AM - 06 PM
Friday09 AM - 06 PM
Saturday09 AM - 06 PM
Sunday09 AM - 06 PM
From November 01 to December 31, 2019
Monday09 AM - 06 PM
Tuesday09 AM - 06 PM
Wenesday09 AM - 06 PM
Thursday09 AM - 06 PM
Friday09 AM - 06 PM
Saturday09 AM - 06 PM
Sunday09 AM - 06 PM

Prices

Full adult price : from € 13.50 to € 16.00

Child rate : from € 10.50 to € 11.50

Free rate

Discount rate : from € 11.50 to € 14.50

: from € 35.00 to € 44.00

Group rate

Other rates : from € 6.50 to € 6.50

Discount rate : from € 10.50 to € 12.00

Further information

Labels

  • La Loire à Vélo
    La Loire à Vélo
  • Qualité Tourisme
    Qualité Tourisme
  • 500 ans RenaissanceS
    500 ans RenaissanceS

Payment method

  • American Express
  • Mastercard

Services and equipments

  • Shop
  • Picnic area
  • Bar / refreshment bar
  • Parking
  • Restaurant
  • Film projection room
  • Fully equipped meeting room
  • Wifi